Partly because it's fun, Mostly because I'm lazy, I decided to post some more of my old Poems. Th story behind both of these is the same, sometimes poems just come to me out of the blue at the most awkward of times. Months and months ago I attended a Shakespeare/Drama class. We were learning about Shakespeare's sonnets and so the teacher decided to cover Iambic Pentameter. After a basic overview, she asked us to all write a short sentence in a iambic rhythm, than pass them to the person on the left, who wold read it out loud, emphasizing the right syllables etc.
Admittedly, my mind had been wandering because I had covered Iambic Pentameter before and I will attribute the rather random and morbid rhyme I came up with to that fact. The first sentence that popped into my head was "What fear is this that calls my name". But that sounded a little strange and might cause the others to worry about my mental health, so I substituted that with "What rose smells sweet when it lies dead." I got a few stares when it was read out loud, but I thought that was the end of the matter until I realized I had the rhythm permanently stuck in my head. So I couldn't rest until I had finished what I had started, the results are below. Both poems share the exaggerated, figurative language of the sonnets we were covering that day.
What Rose smells sweet when it lies dead
Beneath my feet and whispering
Ye all who stare
Hear now, Beware
For soon you all will be like me
And who will say, the rose smells sweet?
What fear is this that calls my name
On waves of sound in tempest wrought
Through good or ill, it calls the same
First strong, than fades, but never naught
It seeps to all my inmost parts
As if to kill, indeed it may
It seems as if I have two hearts
For one could never hurt this way
So, expect a more serious post soon, but for now this will have to do;
Thanks for Reading!
Ester
Wow, you should really be a poet. :)
ReplyDeleteYSF!
Fidelia
Thanks, I actually am considering a career in writing/journalism, but my major flaw is that I only write well when I feel like it, or when I enjoy the topic, so essays and reports are still a struggle. I write poetry because I love it, not really because I hope to make a future with it. :)
Delete